Help for Homeowners Mortgage Resources
Sponsored by the Office of Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan, State Senator Ira Silverstein, and Alderman Debra Silverstein
Wednesday, September 21, 2011 @ 05:00 PM - 08:00 PM
Bernard Horwich Jewish Community Center
3003 West Touhy Avenue, Chicago, IL
Are you at risk of foreclosure?
Do you know someone who is behind in his or her mortgage payments?
Join us to learn how to prevent foreclosure and avoid falling prey to foreclosure rescue scams. Housing counselors from the Illinois Attorney General's Office will be available to assist homeowners in need. Representatives from some mortgage lenders may also be available to meet with homeowners and provide information on obtaining loan modifications
An Important Message from Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan
Reach out for help now! Help is just a phone call away at no cost to you.
- Call the ILLINOIS ATTORNEY GENERAL’S HOMEOWNER HELPLINE at 1-866-544-7151 for referrals to housing counselors to obtain help at no cost to you. Attorney General staff will discuss your options with you.
- You can also call the national HOPE FOR HOMEOWNERS HOTLINE at 1-888-995-HOPE for free advice on programs that are offered by lenders if you are behind on your mortgage. If you are denied a modification by your lender/servicer, contact a HUD-certified counselor and re-apply. Gather your financial information.
- Be prepared to discuss your current income. It will help if you have your last two pay stubs available.
- Know all your current expenses.
- Keep track of spending and save as much money as possible.
- Be prepared to explain why you are behind on your mortgage payments.
- Consider credit counseling to manage high credit card debt—there are non-profit organizations listed in our Illinois Mortgage Lending Guide that can assist you.
- Beware of mortgage rescue and loan modification scams.
- Avoid ANY company asking you to pay in advance for a loan modification! Free resources are available.
- Stay in contact with your lender. Even if you are working with a HUD-certified agency, answer the phone when your lender calls. Keep a log of the date, time and name of the person you spoke with. Ask for a direct number or e-mail address to help you stay in contact.
- Beware of companies that promise they can save your home but demand upfront payments for these services. These companies are scams. Free resources are available.
Remember: If you are having trouble paying your mortgage, reach out now. Help is just a phone
call away. Call the Illinois Attorney General’s Homeowner Helpline at 1-866-544-7151.Additional ResourcesMortgage, Rental and Utility Assistance Programs and Grants
Statewide assistance for homeowners in need of nancial assistance for rental and mortgage payments as well as utility payment assistance and homeless prevention services:
Illinois Department of Human Services Help Line: (800) 843-6154
Illinois Energy Assistance Program: (877) 411-9276
CEDA Program Assistance Helpline: (800) 571-2332
Illinois Hunger Coalition: (800) 359-2163
Food Stamps: (800) 843-6154Renters Living in Properties Facing Foreclosure
Metropolitan Tenants Organization: (773) 292-4988
Lawyers’ Committee for Better Housing, Tenants in Foreclosure Program (TIFP): (312) 347-7600Condominium/Homeowner Association Questions and Resources
Community Associations Institute, Illinois Chapter: (847) 301-7505
Fannie Mae Mortgages: (866) 442-8572
Freddie Mac Mortgages: (800) FREDDIE 373-3343
FHA/HUD: (800) 225-5342
VA Loans Veteran Borrower Assistance: (877) 827-3702
Present Service Members Military One Source: (800) 342-9647Foreclosure Mediation Programs
For homeowners who have received a foreclosure summons and reside in Cook, Will, Madison and Peoria counties:
Cook County (877) 895-2444
Will County (815) 727-8592
Madison County (618) 296-4760
Peoria County (309) 672-6084Housing/Rental Information
Information on available rental housing and other state housing programs:
Illinois Housing Search: (877) 428-8844
Home Preservation Project: (Chicago) 311Report Housing Discrimination
Illinois Department of Human Services: (800) 662-3942
Mortgage Fraud/Loan Modi cation Fraud
Illinois Attorney General Homeowner Helpline: (866) 544-7151
Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation: (800) 532-8785
Loan Modi cation Scam Alert: (888) 995-4673
For additional resources and information, please visit our Help for Homeowners page atwww.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/consumers/homeowners_help.html
Labels: Assistance, Homeowners, Housing, Indonesian Community, Mortgage